Essential oils; how to use them? In this article, you will learn how essential oil is made, how to choose it correctly so as not to fall for fakes, and which manufacturers produce popular essential essences. Every method of processing raw materials requires using one or another piece of equipment: a distillation, a heat exchanger, a receiving tank, etc. The manufacturer is also faced with the question of where to get cheap vegetable raw materials to get ether; at one time, it was of high quality, but a purchased plant requires careful attention.
Many essential essences, including verbena, neroli, and rose, have no expiration date. As a noble wine, every year, they become even better. Some esters can only retain their properties under optimal conditions, so citrus fruits are stored for no more than three years at a temperature of 10-15 ° C. The substance is transferred to a container made of dark material to protect the oil from ultraviolet radiation.
Ways to use essential oils
If you bought an essential oil and are not familiar with the rules and methods of its use, do not rush to try the product; first, read the instructions for the product. Remember not to use ether in its pure form, be sure to use carrier oils, solid (shea, coconut, cocoa, etc.), or liquid (argan, wheat germ, apricot, peach kernel, etc.)).
Esters are widely used for:
- Aromatic bath. Many women use essential oils for relaxation purposes; such products help reduce stress and improve mood, and they can also improve muscle tension and colds.
- Most women add essential oil to the water for bathing. Still, this procedure can cause skin irritation as ether does not dissolve in water. It is better to use salt, milk, honey, or kefir as a transfer base, and the procedure should take 5 to 25 minutes and be carried out no more than three times a week. The temperature of the water should not exceed 40 ° C. A fragrant bath with essential oils does not include the additional use of shampoo, foam, and other cosmetics.
- Inhalation. With the help of inhalation, it is possible to relieve the body’s condition with diseases such as influenza, bronchitis, asthma, etc. Inhalation also helps to clear the skin. It is recommended that this procedure be performed only after consultation with the attending physician in order not to aggravate the condition. Esters of tea tree, sage, eucalyptus, rosemary, lavender, etc., can help with colds. You can use the following combinations for inhalation in a 1: 1 ratio: lavender and pine oil, rosemary and thyme, eucalyptus and thyme, and inhalation using the following eucalyptus (2 drops), lavender (2 drops), mint (1 drop), rosemary (1 drop).
- Inhalation can be divided into two groups: cold and hot. In the first case, you can drip a few drops of the essential essence on a paper napkin or a clean cloth and inhale the aroma with your nose for up to 10 minutes; in the second case, you should use an inhaler or add a few drops to warm water, bend and cover your head with a towel, inhale the steam for 5-10 minutes.
- Massage. You can significantly improve the massage results if you use base and essential oils in the process. They use products that stimulate blood circulation, improve the heating of the body’s skin, break down fat deposits and tighten the skin. At the same time, the aroma of the essential oil should only cause a pleasant sensation.
- Facial massage with oils will help improve blood circulation by saturating the skin layer with nutrients. Pour a small amount of carrier oil or a mixture into the palm, add 1-2 drops of essential oil, and apply to the face with massaging movements.
- Compress. Compresses with the addition of esters are good for joint diseases, bruises, bruises, inflammatory processes, and headaches. Separate cold (for heart disease, head, edema, and scrapes) and warming options for compresses (on the neck from hoarseness, on the stomach from constipation, gastritis, diarrhea, etc., on the chest from pneumonia, cough, on the joints from rheumatism, sprains).
- Preparation of scented lamps and scented stones. Essential oils, based on their fragrance, can fill a room with a unique atmosphere; some scents brighten the air, some allow you to create a home, and some scents help you relax or wake up. The aroma lamp is a bowl (at least 50 ml) into which water is poured (from 50 to 55 ° C), and a few drops (2 drops per 5 square meters) of the necessary essence are added; a candle is placed under it, but the distance from the flame to the bowl should be more than 10 cm. The procedure itself can last up to 2 hours; during this time, sometimes should be water to the lamp.
Scent stone differs from the previous version in that it spreads the smell only a short way; it is a stone with a porous structure that can be made at home using plaster. Put a few drops on a rock and put it, for example, in a cupboard or a bag; as soon as the smell disappears, you can use essential oils again. Instead of a stone, a sachet, a perfume bag, or a pendant with others will do.
- Enrichment cosmetics. Do you want your makeup to smell good and add value? Why not add 1-2 drops of essential oil to the product?! In this case, the ether base should be well positioned so that the resulting product does not irritate.
- Not a single person who makes face and body creams at home cannot do without using essential oils because he knows that such components can eliminate one or another skin problem. By combining several esters, you can give the finished product a unique and priceless lovely fragrance.
- The essence of lemon, citrus, chamomile, parsley, grapefruit, etc. helps well against age spots and freckles; chamomile, lavender, ylang-ylang oils are used to calm oily skin, bergamot, grapefruit, rosemary, oranges are used to reduce shine on the face. For dry skin, take oils of geranium, chamomile, jasmine, tea, rosewood, lavender, and geranium for their smoothing action; to get rid of small wrinkles, cream creators can create products by adding myrrh, pine, sandalwood, or nerol ether to the composition.
- If you decide to make a cream with your own hands, be aware that the dose of essential oils should not exceed 1%. Some esters are generally appropriate to add in the amount of 0.2-0.4%.
How not to fall for fake essential oil
Before you buy the necessary materials, you must ensure that you have chosen a good product. To do this, first look at the product’s packaging and expiration date; the label must contain information about the botanical name in Latin, an indication that the product is 100% natural, and the method of obtaining the raw material is also essential. Open the package and look at the container; ideally, it is made of dark brown glass, its volume is 5 or 10 ml, and some expensive oils, for example, roses, can fill even smaller jars. Make sure there is a dispenser in the bottle, and notice that you can open the control ring.
Don’t buy oils that are too cheap! Think how many kilos of plant matter you need to extract to get at least 10 ml of ether. The price of the product is determined by the value and rarity of the plant, the percentage of ether in the plant used, the cost of cultivation, production, transportation of the product, production of good packaging, labor costs, payment for electricity, rent or purchase of housing, equipment, quality affects costs ethers matter the oil itself and price for the brand.
The high price of a product is not yet a guarantee of a quality product, so to determine whether a synthetic analog is in front of you, perform a simple test with just one sheet of paper and, in fact, essential oil.
The aroma of natural oil does not smell synthetic and does not come to the nose when the bottle is opened. Remember that citrus oils evaporate quickly, but conifers can smell all day.
Place 1 or 2 drops of essential oil on a clean white sheet of paper. Good either does not contain sediment but leaves a discolored stain, although not greasy. Otherwise, the manufacturer decided to dilute the product with vegetable oil or poorly clean it from the pulp. Pay attention to the stain left by the essential oil; if it has spread too much, it is most likely a fake in front of you.
Popular essential oils
Essential oils from a variety of plants are commercially available, including:
- Roses and fragrances are – one of the most valuable and expensive essentials; you need to collect 1 kg of rose flowers to get 1 kg and just one drop of oil; 30 flower buds are used, assembled by hand before sunrise. It is perfect for taking care of mature skin, reducing the appearance of wrinkles, rejuvenating and toning the skin, and hiding signs of fatigue.
- Lavenders, Spivak – obtained from fresh blooming flowers and stems, the product has antiseptic, regenerating, antibacterial properties. Therefore it can accelerate the healing process of a wound and reduce the appearance of scars. At the same time, the product’s aroma helps restore the nervous system and overcome insomnia. In cosmetics, lavender ether is perfect for those with oily skin; the oil helps to deal with acne, reduce hair loss and eliminate dandruff.
- Orange, now the food – provides additional energy and stimulants, including this product obtained by cold pressing fresh orange peel, in a mixture of cosmetics or simply in a base oil, the skin gets a healthy new look, the visibility of freckles is reduced, the work of the sebaceous glands is optimized. These are not all the properties that this ether has; you can read more information in the instructions for the product.
- Tea tree, Aura Cacia – girls widely use this oil as a remedy for pimples, irritation, rashes, fungal infections of the nails, ringworm, herpes on the lips, etc. It is applied topically, not taken orally. Can use tea tree oil to wash antiseptic laundry.
- Ylang-ylang, Zeytun – refers to an aphrodisiac; it can be safely used to activate libido, relieve anxiety and fear, and relieve emotional stress. As for the skin, ylang-ylang regulates sebum production, reduces irritation, is suitable for owners of sensitive face types, and makes any skin more elastic and velvety.