Activated charcoal; how use my teeth to whiten? Benefits, harms, and side effects of teeth whitening with activated charcoal. Procedural suggestions, practical recipes. Results and reviews.
Charcoal whitening is a relatively common and safe method that anyone can use. It has been practiced for several centuries, but before that, ordinary coal was used. Now it is much more correct and adequate to resort to a medicinal preparation with many valuable components. However, there are contraindications and side effects of the procedure.
What is activated charcoal teeth whitening?
Activated carbon is a unique drug that is constantly used in medicine. We are talking about the coal of vegetable or animal species that can be processed. Its main feature is absorbing action, so it quickly absorbs all toxins, salts, and impurities. It begins to work immediately after contact with liquid, which is why it is used together with water. But must do teeth whitening at home with charcoal carefully as it can remove plaque and dirt and damage the surface.
In the old days, charcoal was also quite common and popular among women who wanted white teeth. But later, when it became known for its beneficial properties, manufacturers began to add other components to the composition to increase the therapeutic effect.
The whitening properties of activated carbon are due to its abrasive properties. After all, solid elements can easily remove plaque, dirt, tea, and coffee. The result is usually noticeable after a few weeks.
Important! It is charcoal with additions of peanut shells or fruit seeds; it is considered beneficial due to the positive effect on the general condition of the oral cavity. But it is not necessary to buy it; you can get by with the classic.
Tips for teeth whitening with activated carbon
Homemade charcoal teeth whitening has many benefits, just like the product itself.
And you can consider the leading indicators of the procedure:
- Drink tea and coffee often … Ingredients from the composition can leave dark skin on the surface and discolored tartar.
- Constant rinsing … Saliva moisturizes and maintains a certain acid balance.
- Improper oral hygiene … If you brush your teeth infrequently or incorrectly, food debris can build up and form plaque.
If the teeth are yellow from birth, such procedures will not be effective.
Advantages of whitening teeth with activated charcoal:
- Low price. The product is available to a wide range of consumers; they can buy it at any pharmacy.
- A few simple methods of the procedure … Thanks to this, each person can choose the correct option.
- No harm to the body … Coal positively affects the body because if it gets into the stomach, it will not harm.
- Immediate and visible effect … After 2 weeks, the enamel will become lighter in several shades.
- The ability to remove even old plaque … prevents the formation of tartar.
Activated carbon does not affect the oral mucosa, even if microbes and ulcers are present, compared to similar procedures performed at home.
Contraindications and harm of teeth whitening with charcoal
Teeth whitening with activated carbon at home have several contraindications that must be strictly followed:
- Spangler … If the patient has recently removed the braces, the procedure should not be performed immediately.
- Tooth decay and sensitivity … There is a high chance of damaging the enamel and worsening the condition.
- Childishness … Children’s tooth enamel is not yet fully formed and relatively thin, and such a method will only harm it.
Before performing whitening, it is recommended to consult a dentist who will assess the condition of the oral cavity and identify potential problems.
When you whiten your teeth with charcoal, you can experience several side effects:
- Frequent treatment can damage tooth enamel.
- Carbon residue remains between the teeth and in small crevices, so removing it will take some time.
Important! Abrasives in coal can scratch the surface and create small cracks. Over time, they will grow, thin the enamel and cause tooth decay. In this regard, the explanation occurs during courses and is not repeated more than 1-2 times weekly.
How does teeth whitening with activated charcoal take place?
There are some guidelines to follow to whiten your teeth with charcoal as quickly and safely as possible. It is necessary to rub the charcoal tablets well so that there are no large grains left that could scratch the surface. Use a cotton pad, gauze, or soft brush to treat.
According to the charcoal teeth whitening recipe, take 1-2 tablets in your mouth and chew them, ensuring the product gets on all the teeth. Then rinse your mouth 2-3 times and floss.
Another way to whiten your teeth with charcoal: grind 1 tablet into a powder, apply the product to a cotton pad or a toothbrush, dampen it slightly with water, and brush your teeth. Then rinse your mouth 2-3 times and floss to remove any residue.
Effective ways to whiten teeth with activated charcoal with additional components:
- Pasta and Coal … There are two options here. First: crush 8 charcoal tablets, add the paste, and brush your teeth once a week. Second: take 1 tablet crushed into powder, mix with a small amount of paste, and gently brush on the enamel.
- Soda and coal. Mix charcoal and soda (1 teaspoon each) in equal proportions, add a few drops of water, and use the resulting mixture to clean the enamel with a brush. You can only repeat this procedure 1-2 times a month.
- Charcoal and lemon juice … Grind 1 charcoal tablet and add a few drops of lemon juice. Apply to cotton or gauze, massage the teeth thoroughly and rinse the mouth. Due to the high sensitivity, it is not recommended to use this recipe.
- Honey and Charcoal … Another option is how to whiten your teeth with charcoal. To do this, crush 1-2 tablets and add 1 tsp. Honey, the resulting composition should be cleaned and rinsed thoroughly. Honey has antibacterial properties and strengthens the teeth.
The best duration of dental light therapy is 1 month with a 2-week break and subsequent repetition. It is not recommended to do whitening more than 1-2 times a week.
After the procedures are done, you need to rinse your mouth well with water and use dental floss to remove particles of charcoal.
If the gums are damaged and bleed after whitening, mix 1 tbsp. l. peroxide in a glass of water, and rinse your mouth. Do not swallow the liquid. The peroxide stops the bleeding and disinfects the wounds. Then you can arrange a rinse with clean water.
Important! If white marks appear on the teeth after the procedure, it is necessary to stop bleaching. It indicates the development of caries. The appearance of dark spots or streaks is also dangerous and requires an immediate visit to the dentist. Sometimes this is a sign of severe damage to the enamel.
Results of teeth whitening with activated carbon
The correct method of whitening and following the recommendations ensures a positive result. After two weeks, you can see that the enamel has become lighter, and a tiny plaque has disappeared. Charcoal teeth whitening before and after photos clearly show the results that can achieve.
The positive effect will be increased with regular and thorough oral hygiene:
- Standard tooth brushing twice a day;
- Regular flossing
- Use of pastes with fluoride and other minerals;
- Timely removal of tartar;
- Treatment of diseases of the gums and teeth;
- Rinse with oak bark extract.
At the same time, you need to stop bad habits.
To prolong the effects of charcoal whitening, adding more solid foods to your diet is essential to stress them more. The menu should include dishes with calcium and other minerals, which prevent thinning of the enamel. In addition, it is recommended to reduce the consumption of coffee and tea, exclude soda and drinks with dyes from the diet, as well as other acids and pigments.
However, this technique will not solve the problem of tooth decay, calculus, gingivitis, and unpleasant odor. In this case, you need the help of a dentist.
You should also be prepared for the opposite effect. Some reviews of teeth whitening with activated charcoal talk about the development of inflammation, sensitivity, bleeding, and tooth decay.
Genuine Carbon Teeth Whitening Reviews
If you’re wondering if activated charcoal will whiten your teeth, it’s essential to know what others say about the procedure. Many people have already had the experience of glazing their teeth, so reviews after teeth whitening with coal are primarily favorable. It is essential to follow all recommendations to count on high efficiency and effectiveness.
Anatoly, 28 years old
My teeth are naturally healthy and strong but have become much darker due to regular coffee, coke, and other drinks. I decided not to go to the dentist immediately but to see if the charcoal whitened my teeth. I heard a lot of interesting information about this from my friends. Used the standard method of toothpaste and some charcoal tablets. I performed the procedure once every 7 days for a month, and the result was not long in coming. The enamel has become a little lighter; almost all the yellowish layer has disappeared. Now I repeat the treatment every 2-3 months.
Anna, 24 years old
I heard a lot of good reviews about charcoal teeth whitening, so I decided to try the method myself. I usually do not suffer from diseases and problems with my teeth, but their color has become yellow. I tried two recipes at once – with pure powder and added to the regular paste. I can say that it is a result, but there are also drawbacks. For example, charcoal pieces are not washed off for several days, and I noticed that my sensitivity to hot and cold has increased. Therefore, I am not going to repeat the experiment for now. Better to pay more money and have a professional medical whitening procedure.
Sonya, 33 years old
Usually, I go to the doctor for such procedures. Still, I heard enough positive reviews about the old recipe with charcoal and decided to try it personally. I chose a standard formula with pasta and charcoal and performed the treatment twice a week for a month. The result was satisfactory after 2 weeks, but there were problems washing up the remaining particles. When I noticed dark streaks and went to the dentist, it turned out that the enamel had thinned, as it was such a tendency in nature. Therefore, I advise everyone to study the matter in detail first, make sure there are no contraindications, and consult a doctor.
The procedure of whitening teeth with activated carbon is quite popular, which is explained by quick results, the almost complete absence of contraindications, and unpleasant consequences. Many people report a noticeable improvement in gum health and enamel lightening. With the development of tooth sensitivity, bleeding gums, caries, or cracks should stop whitening altogether. Consultation and examination with a dentist will help you make the right decision.