Avoid sugar; why is it bad for you? What will the rejection of sweets, depending on the limits of restrictions, lead to? Basics and tips for beginners on how to give up sugar.
How to quit sugar is the answer to the question that interests almost all newcomers to the world of healthy eating. Forgetting desserts and delicacies is not as easy as it may seem at first glance—the reasons for this lie not only on a psychological but also on a physiological level. In addition, if it turns out to give up sugar, one will soon experience a positive effect.
It is important to avoid sugar.
The amount of sugar consumed increases exponentially. One inhabitant of the earth has up to 23 kg of purified product annually. Not only is the pure sugar that you put in tea or coffee with your hand taken into account, but also what is present in prepared dishes, such as sweets or juice.
Not only individual nutritionists but even the World Health Organization draw attention to the high rate of consumption and the popularity of refusing sugar. What happens, in this case, is published in the association’s special thematic topics.
Negative factors of excessive consumption of the product are:
- Addictive … According to the strength of the addiction, the product is even compared to drugs, as sugar causes the production of dopamine, also called the “pleasure molecule.”
- Development of depression … A 20-year study has shown that sugar consumption over 67 grams per day increases the risk of depression by 23%.
- Decreased activity of the immune system … Excessive amount of sweets inhibits the activity of white blood cells.
- Lack of minerals … If you do not give up sugar, the amount of sodium and calcium decreases.
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease … Excessive consumption of sweets leads to liver and fat failure.
- Skin deterioration worsens … Glucose molecules bind to elastane molecules, which spoil the skin’s elasticity and cause acne.
Accordingly, it is easy to understand what happens to the body when sugar is abandoned:
- Emotional background improves … Sweets improve your mood only immediately; in the long run, the best option is to give up on them. Normal sleep will indicate the positive effects of such a refusal.
- Improves the function of the immune system … Leukocytes usually function and respond to germs in time.
- Skin condition improves … Collagen and elastane, free of glucose molecules, help maintain younger-looking skin. For teens, giving up sugar is also the potential of this product to cause acne.
- Reduces the risk of developing chronic diseases … Excessive consumption of sweets affects the rise in blood pressure, lowers the level of “good” cholesterol, and even develops diabetes and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Improves ability to concentrate … Recent research by US researchers shows that consuming sweets interferes with priorities.
- Energy appears … will always feel it, and not only after consuming sweets – as well as from caffeine, but the powerful effects of sweets are also short-lived.
As you can see, there are positive effects at all levels, but the majority hope to lose weight after giving up sugar. It should note that the dietary impact for each individual is individual: for some, the weight will disappear quickly. It will also pay off quickly. For others, the total weight loss will be insignificant.
Note! What will happen if you give up sugar depends on the amount of daily consumption, the timing of such “dependence,” the state of human health, and other factors? The answer to this question is individual, but we can talk about the generally positive impact of such a decision.
What happens if you give up sugar?
It should note that complete rejection of sugar is impossible, as glucose in the product’s composition is involved in the metabolism of carbohydrates in the body. Lack of content will lead to deteriorating performance, looking for irritability, and in some cases, even aggression. At the same time, glucose can be consumed not only from refined sugar but also from fruits, vegetables, dairy products, and others. So when asked if it is possible to give up sugar, the answer is yes when it comes to refined products and dishes containing sugar, not glucose. The benefits of such measures can be traced within a few days, a month, but especially in the long run.
Avoid sugar for a week.
The World Health Organization does not recommend more than 25 grams of sugar (6 teaspoons) per day, including sugary drinks and sugary foods. After studying the recommendations on why it is worth giving up sugar, many people immediately try to reduce the consumption of the harmful product. And while only overweight people will see tangible food outcomes in the short term, almost everyone will notice a sweet addiction.
To avoid cravings for sweets, you need to understand what happens to your body if you give up sugar. As a rule, there is enthusiasm and morale on the first day. However, on the second day, the experimenters noticed how tall they were. Many people call their condition “fragile.” A person may have a headache, feel emotional depression, and sometimes even shake hands. This condition will last for 3-4 days.
Reviews about giving up sugar for such a short time are mainly related to the abovementioned situation. A person is aware of his addiction, and he can break down in a crisis. If you overcome the “withdrawal,” you will feel much better immediately at 6-7. Day – headache disappears, clarity of consciousness appears. Scientists claim that the new condition is related to the body’s adaptation to a sugar-free diet.
After a specified period, many respondents who gave up sugar for a week changed their sense of taste: the fruit began to appear sweeter, and the dishes tasted richer.
Note! To confirm the result of a decrease in sugar addiction, it is recommended to stop giving sweets for at least two weeks.
Avoid sugar for a month.
One week is not enough to overcome sugar cravings, so many people want to go further and wonder what happens if they give up sugar altogether. The exercise shows that if the first week is difficult psychologically – one is drawn to a forbidden product and literally “breaks” then the first month is problematic from a planning point of view. During this period, building a new diet and finding a list of acceptable foods is necessary. But the results of avoiding sugar will be visible at all levels.
The first conclusion people make is that if you give up sugar for a month, you will have to learn to cook again. Removing the product from the recipe is not enough, as the dishes will be tasteless. Learning to combine ingredients in the cooking process is essential. By the way, by the end of the third week, all, even earlier, “gentle” dishes will sparkle with new colors.
Another conclusion: sweet addiction is brought up by others. How to give up sugar and sweets if you are constantly drinking tea at work and on the way home you have fast food? Here a person needs to show willpower and remember the ultimate goal of his refusal, especially since the less sugar you eat, the less you want sweets.
Note! Whether it is possible to lose weight by giving up sugar has long been controversial. So, people who initially suffered from being overweight, as a rule, lose a few pounds. And those with an average body mass index before and after giving up sugar will not see the difference in weight. In most cases, such a result is associated with increased control of food intake, which in the first case becomes more important.
Avoiding sugar forever
As mentioned before, it will not work to stop sugar forever and completely because glucose is necessary for the body’s normal functioning. At the same time, people who have limited consumption for at least a month, with a subsequent tasting of sweets, experience negative consequences, such as severe deterioration of the skin’s condition and the appearance of red spots. Doctors note that the body can respond immediately with diathesis.
After assessing what happens if you stop sugar and have decided to start eating sweets again, it is essential to act gradually. The dose should be increased gradually so as not to cause new adverse reactions in the body.
Note! Doctors do not recommend rushing to extremes: uncontrolled consumption of sweets and refusal of sugar have consequences for man. Eat any food in moderation.
Basic rules on how to avoid sugar
Avoiding sugar is obvious: preventing diabetes, reducing the risk of developing chronic diseases, controlling body weight, etc. However, it is impossible to rule out the product entirely, and sudden changes will lead to headaches, irritability, insomnia, and the risk of failure increases.
When refusing sweets, you must follow three rules:
- Consult … A person with a sense of tight self-control will be able to give up sugar on their own, even if it becomes challenging. However, standardizing the consumption of sweets will be smoother and easier if you visit a doctor. Expert advice is also required for diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and excretory system.
- Do not give up … Good motivation is the key to achieving your goal. It will take up to 4 weeks the break down the craving for sweets which you should control yourself. During this period, reminding yourself of the benefits of avoiding sugar is essential. If you want sweets, then you should eat natural or artificial substitutes.
- Seek Support … Another important rule in dealing with sweet addiction is to find people with the same mindset. In the new team, they will support you in the fight and will even be able to give practical advice. Avoid sugar changes gradually. In a time when you have not yet felt the results, the support of friends is essential.
Avoiding sweets is a difficult task that involves working not only on a physiological level but also on a psychological level. When assessing what happens after that, one must fight not only with eating habits but with real addiction. A successful fight is possible if you follow the basic rules: consult with experts, control yourself, and seek support from the same mindset.