Self-tanning at home, pros, and cons, main types, examples of products to refresh skin tone, tips and tricks for proper use to get the perfect tan. Self-tanning is a way to give your body a tan. It is a ready-made method of coloring the skin, which is achieved by painting the top layer without being exposed to sunlight. Different self-tanning products have different color strengths, and the result also depends on the skin type.
Self-tanning properties for body coloring
Every self-tanner contains ingredients that can give your beautiful body tones. I can use it at any time of the year. Like all cosmetics, self-tanning has both advantages and disadvantages. Let us describe in more detail the benefits of this method:
- Functional additives nourish and moisturize the skin and do not contribute to premature aging.
- After treatment, the top layer of the skin is smoothed out and becomes radiant.
- Saves time and money with natural tanning or going to the solarium.
- Suitable for home use for easy use.
. You can use it even during pregnancy.
Among the negative aspects of self-tanning are the following:
- The effect lasts relatively short(from 2 days to 2 weeks). Most often, this is due to the skin type, pre-treatment procedure, product type, frequency of showering, use of additional hygiene products, and composition of water (ordinary or sea).
- It isn’t easy to treat all areas of the skin independently, so it is worth resorting to external help.
- Because the skin around the body is oily, the effects disappear unevenly.
- Sometimes, you must choose the product carefully to get the best results.
- Some types of self-tanners have a unique smell.
- The product is not completely absorbed, so there may be traces of it on clothes and bedding.
- The product must be used every 2-4 days to maintain the tanning effect permanently.
Contraindications to the use of self-tanning for the body
The ingredients in self-tanning products can have different effects on the skin and the body, so it also has some contraindications for use.
Consider the ban on artificial tanning:
- Tendency to allergic reactions. To avoid side effects, perform a sensitivity test by applying a small amount of the drug to a small area of the skin for several hours. Therefore, do not hesitate to use the product if there are no red spots or other reactions.
- Avoid using if you have a rash or acne.
- If herpes worsens, it is also undesirable to use it not to spread the infection to other areas.
- It is not recommended to use this medicine often on dry skin so that it does not dry out further.
Types of self-tanning in the body
Numerous companies specialize in producing this cosmetic produce self-tanning with different color strengths and in various types, including milk, cream, lotion, oil, wipes, sprays, gels, and pills. Let’s consider the most popular.
Has the easiest way to apply. It is used when taking a shower. As a result, the length of the skin coloring depends on how often it is applied. It differs in that it lays very evenly. At the same time, it does not leave any marks on towels or clothes. No need to rinse thoroughly. The disadvantage is low color concentration.
Most products of this variety do not leave stains on clothes and have a light texture.
A long-lasting effect characterizes self-tanning in the form of a cream. However, its impact should be much longer, leading to further expenditure on labor and time. After applying the cream, it is impossible to use it for about 30 minutes so that all the components have time to be absorbed into the skin.
Body toning oil
Self-tanning cosmetics are a source of valuable substances; they thoroughly moisturize the skin and saturate it with vitamins. One of the disadvantages of this type of decoration is that it creates an oily sheen on the skin and foil that can cause discomfort. Self-tanning oil is best used on dry skin to avoid unpleasant effects.
Self-tanning wipes have a fabric base impregnated with dyes. This product presentation is more suitable for use on the face and neck. Napkins are always easy to carry with you to freshen up your tan at the right time. The effect comes immediately. Their use is not recommended for owners with fair skin.
Self-tanning spray is easy to apply from any position. Processing takes a short time. Drying takes 10-15 minutes. When spraying, it is necessary to observe safety precautions to avoid inhaling spray vapors.
Properties of using self-tanning
Self-tanning helps many people in different situations. For some, it is enough to use it only on the face and hands, provided that the rest of the body is wearing clothing, others need to treat the whole body, and still, others pursue the goal of coloring the skin and also for further care. Let’s consider a few options for using bronze cosmetics.
Apply self-tanning to the face
The general rule is that you should not use self-tanning products only for the body and face. It is because the body’s skin type and look are significantly different. As a result, the outcome can be unpredictable in some cases. As a self-tanner for the face, it is better to use unique products with a delicate texture, gentle composition, and mild effect.
The sequence of actions to work the face:
- For facials, it is better to choose the time of day when you can stay home for about 5 hours to wait for the results and correct them, if possible.
- Should clean the facial skin of cosmetics. You can use a moisturizing toner.
- Apply it to slightly moist skin for better distribution over the entire surface.
- Lubricate areas with tiny pores immediately with self-tanning. Then treat the nasal area, the center of the forehead, lightly. Do not treat the skin around the eyes.
- Finally, soften the edges where the hair begins. To do this, use a moisturizer on which you can spread the pigment in these areas.
When buying toner for the face, you should pay special attention to the intensity of the color. Let’s describe some well-known rules for hair and skin color:
- The term “light” means light skin. A darker tone is not worth buying to avoid abnormal color. It will be challenging to wash the rest of the bronze, even with great desire.
- Marked “medium” – light brown, brown hair, peach skin. However, other tones will also look uncritical.
- Label “dark” – dark hair, dark skin. Other self-tanning options can add a yellow tint and reduce the appearance.
To apply a moisturizing self-tanner
Self-tanning products with a moisturizing effect are more aimed at dry skin, which can be damaged by normal pigmentation in the form of peeling. Additional hydration, nutrition, and care can improve coloration, prolong the medication and at the same time ensure the normal functioning of the skin.
Natural extracts, oils, and other beneficial additives help increase the epidermis’s protective activity and its resistance to external influences.
It is not recommended to use a moisturizing self-tanner on oily areas of the skin. They can enhance the shine. So if the skin on the face is oily or in combination, it is better to choose a bronze best suited for a specific type.
A self-tanning moisturizer is easier to spread over the body to get an even color. Reduces the risk of divorce.
How to use self-tanning for the body
Some skin care products cannot be used on the face but only on the body. Read the instructions carefully.
To achieve a tan, treat the areas most exposed to the sun. To make the tan look more natural, do not unnecessarily darken the neck; bend the arms and legs. It is not at all recommended to stain the armpits.
Must distribute the product at least and as soon as possible because each product has different penetration and color intensity.
How to use self-tanning with sunscreen
The vast majority of artificial tanning products do not contain ingredients that protect the skin from the harmful effects of the sun. However, for some people, “self-tanning + SPF” is a priority among decorative cosmetics. After coloring the skin properly, we do not give up walking in the open sun, which can cause irritation or burns on the body.
How to use a self-tanning bronzer
In summer, self-tanning can be used as sunscreen or a correction for the whole body.
On public beaches, it can be challenging to get a uniform shade due to swimwear. Still, the skin underneath is much lighter when light stripes peek out from under the summer clothes.
On nude beaches, not everything is rosy. Not all the body surface is tanned evenly in the sun due to changes in body position on the beach position of the sun in the sky during the day. The shoulders and face are painted darker faster. And bends on the legs and feet and areas with denser skin. On the contrary, acquire summer shade more slowly.
In this case, bronze comes to the rescue to correct the imperfections of the natural tan. This self-tanning program is the most cost-effective because there is no need to treat the whole body. Just apply the product to a light area.
Rules for applying self-tanning to the body
For the best results, follow these rules:
- Try the new pigment for shade and intensity.
- Be sure to cleanse your skin with a cleanser or homemade exfoliator before or the day before the operation. Completely smoothest the epidermis and removes coarse or dry particles with a mixture of baking soda and salt in equal proportions, diluted with milk for washing or liquid soap.
- Removing unwanted hair on the legs in the bikini area is recommended.
- Apply to clean, moisturized skin to prevent clogging of pores. Slightly steamed skin absorbs components better, but dark spots can form in pores. The skin moistened with the cream is more likely to spread the self-tan in a thinner layer. It then dries a little slower.
- Use the product in small doses. Massage it quickly into a circular motion.
- Treat areas with denser skin immediately, then more sensitive areas.
- Do not try to color your skin too dark. The best option is 1-2 shades darker than the natural color.
- Suppose the coloring process is not carried out in the summer, and it is not planned to treat the whole body because it is under the clothes for more naturalness. In that case, it is worth treating the hands as well. In this case, the drug does not need to be applied to the inner surface of the palms, the nails. After a few minutes, you can slightly wet your palms with clean water and use it to redistribute the product.
- Do not apply products that dry long before bedtime so as not to lubricate overnight and dye the bedding.
- In case of dry skin, it is recommended to use a moisturizer 15-20 minutes before the operation.
- Use gloves to protect your palm from staining, or use gloves to release the product.
- If applied bare-handed, wash thoroughly immediately afterward. You can brush your nails.
- Applications should be made from bottom to top or vice versa.
- Do not allow the product to leak.
- Do not shower immediately after the operation; may rinse some products immediately.
- Use a moisturizer after the preparation has dried completely (the terms are indicated on the package).
- You can repeat the procedure no less than half an hour after the effect appears. The processing frequency is indicated on the product packaging.
Each product to give a bronze or chocolate shade has its extraordinary suggestion. Detailed instructions for use are on the product packaging.